Is M-80 really 1/4 TNT
g***@gmail.com
2017-05-14 07:03:34 UTC
Am I late to the party?
The best news in machining
2017-05-14 14:03:18 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Am I late to the party?
Yep to your question, and nope to the subject title question.

An M-80 is the military version of a "beefed-up" but otherwise ordinary
flash cracker.

It comes nothing close to being the equivalent of any amount of TNT.

Lloyd
Tom Biasi
1/4 what? 1/4 gram?
The best news in machining
2017-05-14 23:48:45 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Am I late to the party?
Yep to your question, and nope to the subject title question.
An M-80 is the military version of a "beefed-up" but otherwise ordinary
flash cracker.
It comes nothing close to being the equivalent of any amount of TNT.
Lloyd
He's a troll Lloyd.
1/4 what? 1/4 gram?
Yeah, I know, but I just HAD to answer, because there are 'newbies' who
might not know the difference.

Lloyd
Anon Emous
2017-06-14 22:15:07 UTC
Is an M-80 really equivalent to a quarter stick of dynamite? What does the
degnisation "M-80" stand for? Anyway, not being an explosives expert and
with all of this dangerous fireworks hipe from the media, I am just curious.
-Thanks, Tim
All rise the WiZard speaks.

"the M80 firecracker mixture had an
equivalency of approximately 80%."

NB — For AIR BLAST.

Accession Number : ADA096248
Title : A Compilation of Hazard and Test Data for Pyrotechnic Compositions
Descriptive Note : Final rept. Jan 69-Mar 79
Corporate Author : COMPUTER SCIENCES CORP STENNIS SPACE CENTER MS
Personal Author(s) : McIntyre, Fred L ; Rindner, Richard M
Report Date : Oct 1980
Pagination or Media Count : 384

Full Text : http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=ADA096248

As the late Big Bruce noted in American Fireworks News Chemical explosives many years ago ... you cannot blow bank vault doors w/ M80's. Chemical compositions lack Brisance.

Brisance /brɪˈzɑːns/ is the shattering capability of a high explosive, determined mainly by its detonation pressure. The term can be traced from the French verb "briser" (to break or shatter) ultimately derived from the Celtic word "brissim" (to break).

PLEASE the word is French and is not pronounced bristant. The eponymous Fresnel light house lens is also French and is not pronounced as spelled. The the eponymous SI unit of work or energy the Joule is also French and not pronounced Jowel.

Practice on this isochronous (a technology that buttered my bread for many years.)

Hint it is from the Greek. Hint two — for reasons not given to me to understand in English we use a hard C rather than a K, e.g. zinc (German/French zinK.)

The TNT equivalency is for the original border line suicidal potassium perchorate/sulphur/antimony trisulphide/aluminium mixture. This comp was replaced w/ the standard potassium perchlorate/aluminium comp.
The current comp used is black powder/aluminium I would posit the same comps used in the Air Burst Simulator Projectile Mixture 91% black powder 9% aluminium.

I explained this more detail in my American Fireworks News article. I am tempted to post it, however, I am currently hiding form the County Pervert Posse, my laptop does not have this file on its HD.

Suggestion too .... when disusing explosive do not use the term "power" used w/explosives it has a v/ technical meaning. I am sure 99% of the great unwashed masses here do not know the details.

At Dr Conklin's first summer course on the Chemistry of Explosives many years I meet the late Fred McIntyre.
Unkl Sap gave him a SL of M80's to experiment w/. Said he some of the results were worthy of HE's.
Anon Emous
2017-06-14 22:22:49 UTC
SI unit of work or energy the Joule is also French and not pronounced Jowel

Got that backward! It is not pronounced Jewel,
it is pounced Jowel.
d***@gmail.com
2017-06-15 15:50:57 UTC
Huh. That's what Charlie Hill sieved a lb. of right in front of us to blow up the "outhouse" (or "office") at FFA in 1993. Maybe not the same proportions.
Anon Emous
2017-06-16 01:36:53 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by Anon Emous
the original border line suicidal potassium perchorate/sulphur/antimony trisulphide/aluminium mixture.
Huh. That's what Charlie Hill sieved a lb. of right in front of us to blow up the "outhouse" (or "office") at FFA in 1993. Maybe not the same proportions.
--------
Can't answer to that, however, I posit it is "better than
Dr. Shimizu Thunder #3.
Mike
I heard the 1/4 stick of "dynamite" when I was about 10 (1966) years old. It's something that was passed down for decades and I suspect long before I heard the myth. The 1/4 was meant to suggest it had 1 fourth the power of a stick of dynamite.
g***@gmail.com
2017-10-21 06:55:27 UTC
If one goes to the B.A.T.F website,it will tell you the strength of various kinds of firecrackers.
g***@gmail.com
2017-10-21 06:50:54 UTC
M80s only contain about 3 to 5 grams of flash powder equivalent to a cherry bomb. 1/4 sticks are called M1000s with
about 25 to 28 grams of flash powder based on its strength compared to dynamite and NOT TNT.