Experiments with rosin (warning: ramble)
detonationfilms@gmail.com
2005-09-16 03:46:39 UTC
As some may know, I'm rather obsessed with black smoke mixes. I have
several which work well, but for some reason I keep fiddling.

One of my recent favorites was based on the Lancaster formula, but with
colophony (rosin) substituted for the anthrecene. However, I was
having a hard time getting consistent results. My original Skylighter
rosin supply ran low, so I ordered more from Firefox (I needed some
tools they stocked.)

The Firefox rosin looked nothing like the Skylighter stuff -- it was
pale and the dust was sticky and smelled like a 2x4, whereas the
Skylighter rosin was dark brown powder, not sticky, and smelled more
like creosote.

The Firefox rosin was nowhere as good in my mix as the Skylighter
stuff. I ordered more from Skylighter, but when it arrived only two
pounds was the dark brown stuff. The remainder was light. Obviously I
had cleaned them out of dark brown rosin.

So I began to worry. Somehow, some way, Skylighter had found the fuel
I needed and it was now gone. It was rosin, but why was it so
different? I ordered an ounce of almost every cheap resin there was on
SomaLuna.com and have been experimenting with them, with interesting
(to me) results. (Frankincense works pretty darn well, BTW.)

But here I had five pounds of pale rosin that gave poor results;
thready smoke and a weak burn. I began experimenting with it.

Reasoning thus: if I was a pyro supplier, I would buy the cheapest,
crappiest rosin available, since it was just going to be burned anyway.
Obviously, the dark brown stuff had been the dregs of something.
Something so ugly and smelly it couldn't be used as incense or varnish
or anything else.

Thinking that perhaps the pale rosin (which would convert back to sap
if left outside overnight) still contained far too much moisture, I
tried baking some of it in my charcoal retort. It didn't bake well.
Some parts got black, and some dark brown.

But the dark brown parts worked much better. Oddly enough, the black
parts worked better still.

So to cut to the chase, after much experimenting, here's what I did: I
dissolved the pine rosin in alcohol. It dissolves easily. This was
placed in the charcoal retort and cooked over a gas flame with holes
punched in the lid.

Not surprisingly, the first result is an alcohol rocket roaring from
the lid holes, but it is cool-looking and I was prepared for that, so
no harm done.

The flame then subsides to a large billowy flicker, not unlike a tiki
torch, and keeps going for an hour or so. I assume this is the pine
volatiles venting off.

Once the flame goes out, the retort is removed. It is allowed to cool
overnight.

In the morning, opening the retort (a paint can, actually) reveals a
hard, glassy black substance in the bottom of the retort, which can be
broken out with a hammer. The chips look like black glass. It powders
well in a mill, and it is a magnificent fuel. It is much heavier than
charcoal, and will still dissolve in alcohol. Five pounds of pale
rosin results in only a pound or so of this stuff. But it works great.

I hate to be presumptuous, but could this be the "pine root pitch" that
Shimizu writes of? It seems to match the description. And it is an
awesome fuel. It certainly serves my purposes, so I wanted to pass it
along.

Bob
Bill Westfield
2005-09-16 08:57:58 UTC
Have your tried Skylighter's "Amber powder" ? Amber is fossilized
tree sap, after all...

BillW
Mike Swisher
2005-09-16 16:30:03 UTC
There are two general types of rosin: gum rosin and wood rosin. Gum rosin is a
product obtained by distillation of the free-flowing sap. What passes over
through the retort used in the distillation is known as gum turpentine. What
remains in the retort is gum rosin. In large chunks it has a reddish-brown
translucent appearance, and when powdered it is a pale yellow color. This is the
product used by fiddlers. It has a relatively low melting temperature.

Wood rosin is a product made by solvent extraction of pine wood scraps. The
extracted material is fractionally distilled and the solvent is recovered as the
lightest fraction, then a type of turpentine called wood turpentine passes over
the still. What is retained in the retort is wood rosin. This is a dark brown
material and was probably the type of rosin with which you originally succeeded
in making black smoke. It has a higher melting temperature than gum rosin.

Pine sap contains a series of hydrocarbons of similar characteristics but
varying molecular weights, and in general the heavier ones have higher melting
points and darker colors. Apparently, you have obtained better results in your
smokes with these darker rosins.

You might try Vinsol resin, which is a semi-synthetic product made by chemically
processing of wood rosin. It is a dark brown powder very similar to wood rosin
in its pyrotechnic performance.

Your manipulations as described in the undernoted post have very likely produced
something similar to Shimizu's pine root pitch. The physical appearance sounds
similar to what Shimizu describes. According to his description of pine root
pitch, pp. 115-6 of "Fireworks: The Art, Science and Technique," it was a
"bi-product [sic] of the distillation of turpentine oil" in Japan during the
Second World War and is no longer being made.

Reading between the lines, the reason it is no longer made is that 1) Japan was
cut off from normal commercial supplies of many strategic materials during the
war, and 2) the process by which it was produced was a wartime expedient that is
uneconomical absent the exigencies prevailing in war, and/or 3) the principal
product being made, of which the pine root pitch was a byproduct, was a
substitute inferior to something normally available in peacetime commerce.
Recall the origins of the term "ersatz."
Bob
John Reilly
2005-09-16 17:23:06 UTC
Well, that answers a few questions I had on pine root pitch Mike. I
have not tried Vinsol yet but from what you say it may burn faster than
red gum in barium chlorate greens. I have been using a formula
including potassium chlorate in place of some of the barium chlorate in
an effort to increase burn speed of green stars for warimono shells.
The color is as beautiful as my old (slow) Italian mix but still
doesn't burn as fast as I'd like. I do recall that the Japanese green
shells I saw fired here in the U.S. in the early 60s were of poor
color. Probably potassium chlorate and barium nitrate due not only to
the high cost of barium chlorate but the burn rate as well? I know I
can get a faster burn with magnalium mixes sans barium chlorate but I
like the "warmth" of the barium chlorate greens.

John
r***@bestweb.net
2005-09-16 18:18:53 UTC
Post by Mike Swisher
There are two general types of rosin: gum rosin and wood rosin. Gum rosin is a
product obtained by distillation of the free-flowing sap. What passes over
through the retort used in the distillation is known as gum turpentine. What
remains in the retort is gum rosin.
You sure it's from free flowing sap, rather than the resin-containing
material in an exudate produced by wounding the tree?
Mike Swisher
2005-09-16 19:21:50 UTC
Post by r***@bestweb.net
Post by Mike Swisher
There are two general types of rosin: gum rosin and wood rosin. Gum rosin is a
product obtained by distillation of the free-flowing sap. What passes over
through the retort used in the distillation is known as gum turpentine. What
remains in the retort is gum rosin.
You sure it's from free flowing sap, rather than the resin-containing
material in an exudate produced by wounding the tree?
The sap used in the preparation of gum turpentine and gum rosin is of course
free flowing as it exudes from cuts made in the trees, and it congeals only upon
exposure to air. By nature the saps of pine trees are not free flowing in the
way that, for example, the sap of the sugar maple is. Not all saps congeal
completely - for example, "Venice turpentine," which is an unprocessed exudate
from Larix decidua, or "Strasbourg turpentine," which is a similar product won
from Abies pectinata. Both are thick but fluid. Saps exuding from the typical
American turpentine pines such as Pinus palustris or P. taeda, oxidize and
congeal in open air, forming gum thus, which is distilled to make gum turpentine
and gum rosin. All of these materials fall into the general class of oleoresins
or balsams.

In the context of my post, the material I described as "free flowing" was so in
contradistinction to that resinous material, which is not free flowing, but is
mingled with lignins and cellulose in pitchy scraps of pine wood, and is
extracted with solvent in the manufacture of wood turpentine and wood rosin.

I trust the above will remedy any want of detail or precision you may have found
in my previous post.
John Reilly
2005-09-16 16:50:41 UTC
That's interesting. I don't know what "pine root pitch" is either but
it is apparantly a very good fuel for fast burning stars necessary in
Japanese style chrysanthemum and peony breaks. Shimizu wrote years ago
that it was hard to get even in Japan and that it was a product of the
distillation of pine tar or pine resin. At that writing he seemed to
be only recently experimenting with red gum (accroides resin) and in
his testing, red gum was one of the closer fuels to pine root pitch in
burn speed without affecting color significantly. Rosin burns with a
whitish flame and is a good fuel to use in yellow stars with sodium
oxalate, bicarbonate or cryolite to speed up and increase flame size in
shellac fueled yellows with potassium perchlorate. I certainly don't
know if what you made was akin to pine root pitch but it would be worth
trying it in color mixes. I would be interested to hear how it works
in comparison with red gum.

John Reilly
h***@yahoo.com
2005-09-17 22:24:14 UTC
John, when first out of college I worked for Hercules Powder Company.
They had a division called "Naval Stores" that produced turpentine,
pine root pitch, caulking, and several other products based on
materials recovered from pine stumps in the southeastern United States.
I worked on rocket engines in their facility located at Rocky Hill, NJ,
where the ultimate punishment considered possible short of being
fired was to be assigned to manage one of their Pine Stump camps in
Georgia or elsewhere in the deep south. When the plant closed down
Hercules offered me an opportunity to transfer to Utah (which meant
that my performance was OK), but at that time I opted to go to work for
Kodak in Rochester, NY. In retrospect, I really don't know that I made
the best possible choice but we all have to live withh our decisions.

Hercules was a nice company to work for, as was Kodak. Still, where you
work including the culture and climate can make a great deal of
difference. Also, being a physicist, the recovery of pine stump
derivatives didn't particularly interest me, which makes a difference
as well.

Still, I though it might interest you to know that turpentine and most
pine derivatives come from the harvesting of pine stumps after the tree
is cut.

Kindest regards, Harry C.

Harry C.
Mike Swisher
2005-09-19 01:15:21 UTC
It is worth noting that Vinsol resin was originally a Hercules product made from
just such wood rosin as was extracted from those pine stumps. An ink varnish and
vehicle salesman told me that what Vinsol was was a "blown rosin" - i.e., after
the solvent and turps had been distilled over and a non-volatile molten wood
rosin remained in the retort, air was blown through vents at the bottom of the
retort and bubbled up through the rosin. This partially oxidized it and changed
such properties as melting point, solubility in various solvents, etc.

Remember that, after explosives, the second great industrial venture of the
duPont interests was made in the field of coatings, paints and varnishes.
General Motors came into being in part because of duPont family investments in
the auto industry, which in turn followed on their sale of specialized paints
and varnishes to that industry. Before these, cars were painted with old
fashioned coach paint and finishing was a great production bottleneck.
Harry C.
donald haarmann
2005-09-22 19:39:24 UTC
<***@yahoo.com

| John, when first out of college I worked for Hercules Powder Company.
| They had a division called "Naval Stores" that produced turpentine,
| pine root pitch, caulking, and several other products based on
| materials recovered from pine stumps in the southeastern United States.

---------------
[snip]

For more than you probable want too know 'bout Hercules Naval Stores operation in
Hattiesburg, Mississippi see : -

JL Schantz and T Martin
Hercules Powder Company, Wilmington, Delaware,
Waste Utilization : Land Reclamation through Chemical Industry.
Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 31 [5] 585-595. May, 1939.
(5 pages of pictures.)

donald j haarmann
-----------------------
Hexameter-

Hexameter, the name of the earliest
and most important form of classical
verse in dactylic rhythm. The word is
due to each line containing six feet or
measures, the last of which must be
a spondee and penultimate a dactyl,
though occasionally, for some special
effect, a spondee may be allowed in
the fifth foot. The four other feet may
be either spondees or dactyls..... The
most usual places for the caesura are
at the middle of the third, or the middle
of the fourth root: the former is known
as the penthemimeral and the latter as
hepthemimeral caesura.

donald haarmann
2005-09-16 22:50:34 UTC
"***@gmail.com"

| As some may know, I'm rather obsessed with black smoke mixes. I have
| several which work well, but for some reason I keep fiddling.

----------
Ah once again laziness pervades rec.pyrotechnic. Everyone wants answers - no one
want to do the work! Sucked this out of www.deja.com (there's a more to be had).

-------------------------------------
donald j haarmann Nov 17 2002, 7:29 pm
Newsgroups: rec.pyrotechnics
From: "donald j haarmann" <donald-***@worldnet.att.net> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 23:29:25 GMT
Subject: Re: Red Gum

Like turpentine rosin (colophony) has no definite composition. There being three different
sources of rosin all containing the same chemicals in different proportion.
These difference changing with wood species and geography!

Gum rosin - from tree tapping.
Tall oil rosin - by-product of the craft paper industry, along with sulphate turpentine.
Wood rosin - solvent extraction from tree stumps.

Tall oil rosin being the most common, if not the only commercial source rosin.

Rosin is classified according to colour. The American (now world wide) designates
it in running order of decreasing colour - B, D. E, F, G, H, I, K, , M, N, WG, WW, X, -
with dark wood rosin graded FF due to its peculiar red tone. The color being a function
of iron and oxidizsed matter contents.

There are also "rosin derivatives".

Hydrogenated rosin
Dehydrogenated rosin
Oxidized rosin
Polymerized rosin
Rosin esters
Maleic modified rosins
Metallic salts of rosin. [Resinates - Used in pyrotechnics - Calcium and copper.]

By-the-by. Rosin is acidic! Being a collection of various organic acids. It will attack
iron.

---------
Add - The 3-different rosin vary in the percentages of their component acids e.g.,

delta 8-9 isoimaric
elliotinic
pimaric
sandaracopimaric
l-pimaric e.g., 25.0% in gum, 7.1% in wood.
dehydroabietic
abietic n-abietic
and the ever poplar "unidentified" 5.2% in tall oil rosin, 0.0 in wood rorsin, 0.9 in gum rosin.

donald j haarmann - colophon

From da WiZard's Pyro Trivia Quiz

24- This gum accumulates at he base of dead, rushlike leaves of the
Xanthorrhoea trees (Grass tree) throughout Australia and especially in
Tasmania. Because of its high content of tannic and other aromatic acid makes it
soluble in higher alcohols and volatile and volatile ester, it is used for lacquers on
paper and wallboard and in mahogany stains for wood. Because of its low cost it
has found use in fireworks as fuel, replacing shellac, and rosin. It is simple?
(Latin name please, to prevent confusion with a exudation of the same name
obtained from the Eucalyptus tree, which is not really a gum but a kino.)

-------------
27- This resin extruded as a translucent or clear white liquid from the living bark
of a genus of tropical Asian conifer (Agathis) found from Sumatra to Fiji and from
the northern Philippines to New Caledonia, Queensland, and northernmost New
Zealand, hardens with age and eventually becomes brittle. Historically, it was
dug out of the ground on North Island, New Zealand. Production by this method
reached its zenith in 1905 and finally ceased in 1950. The resin is now obtained
mainly from Irian Java, by the tapping of trees. Used at one time as a fuel in
green fire compositions, it is known by the Maori name for the tree from which it
is obtained. We call it?

------------
75- Used as a fuel, bonding agent, adhesive, and retardant, this gummy
extraction is obtained from unhealthy West African trees, where the gum exudes
as droplets or tears which gradually harden on exposure to the atmosphere. We
call it?

----------
76- This gum used as a fuel and bonding agent in pyrotechnics, is the dried
gummy exudate obtained from several varieties of shrub-like plants of the
Astragalus family. Found in the semi-desert and mountainous areas of Turkey,
Iran, and Syria. The gum exudes spontaneously and hardens on exposure to
the air either in the form of short ribbons which are flat, flexible and opaque, or in
thick brittle flakes, depending on the particular species of plant. We known it by
its Latin name <.....>?

---------

87- While I would rather doubt that many own a linen suit, we still make use of
another part of the flax plant, i.e., Bung Oil for use as a lubricant, and to protect
iron and magnesium from chemical attack. We could obtain it from any hardware
store by simply requesting <.....>?

------------
93- Oil of the Palm of Christ (Palma christi), is used as a fuel, a waterproofing
and binding agent, and also to reduce sensitivity to friction of flare mixtures. We
would find it upon our shelves in the bottle labeled?

----------

164- A component obtained from a plant associated with the earliest records of
civilization in the deposits of the Swiss Lake Dwellers. This plant was cultivated
for a thousand or more years BC in Egypt and the Middle East. The plant (or its
products) is mentioned in the Bible, and by Virgil, Ovid, Cicero and Pliny. It is the
ever popular?

-------------
165- This annual monsoon crop and garden vegetable of India, Pakistan, Sri
Lanka and Burma, with numerous uses such as cattle forage, fuel, human food
(as a legume or pulse), for soil improvement and as a medicine. The
galactomannan gum of the endosperm is used in paper, textile, cosmetic and oil
industries throughout the world, and is useful absorbent for explosives, and a
binder in fireworks. Is can be obtained by simply requesting?

--------------
166- A tree from the coast of West Africa mentioned by early Portuguese, Dutch
and English seafarers from the fifteenth century onwards supplies an important
component for the production of napalm, the tree is of course the?

167- This high-quality rapid drying oil pressed from the seeds of a Chinese tree
is mentioned in the Book of Poetry, compiled by Confucius more than 24
centuries ago. Used by the Chinese to protect iron fillings used in Chinese Fire
from attack by Potassium nitrate, &c., its name translated into English is "Heart
Oil", although it's Chinese name <.....> is more commonly used.

---------
191- This city, one of the Ionian Dodecapolis where the poet Mimnermus (610)
sang "his melancholy odes of fleeting youth and love," has lent its name to the
inscription at the end of a book or manuscript, especially in the 15th and 16th
centuries, and to a fuel used in fireworks, the fuel is of course?

PS www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

77 300 hits for "rosin chemisty".
Ozmodium
2005-09-17 05:10:35 UTC

Newsgroups: rec.pyrotechnics
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 23:29:25 GMT
Post by donald haarmann
[...]
Post by donald haarmann
donald j haarmann - colophon
From da WiZard's Pyro Trivia Quiz
[...]
Though a little off topic: Google the the word "failure" then click I am
feeling lucky. funny!