Wasp light
Anon Emous
2017-07-19 03:01:56 UTC
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/04/us/wasps-firework-garage-trnd/index.html

Remember I 66 or so years the neighbour down the road tried to
burn out bee's/wasps from his house and set it alight.

Wasp Light

Well the tent caterpillar season [was]dobe upon me. I usually take one of my 12 Ga’s and turn them into tent caterpillar pâté. Indeed I purchased some 12 Ga #12 shot shells for the job. However, there are three (so far) just off the road upon which I am not planning on standing upon and firing away so … time for a “wasp light”. As described in Weingart it is a gerb tied to a stick (I used ½” EMT). He suggests 9 pts. potassium nitrate, 1 ½ sulphur and 5 charcoal. Kentish suggests “an arsenial suffocating fire” composition of -- 14 pts. potassium nitrate, 5 sulphur, 3 mealpowder and 1 realgar. Burning the suckers works for me.

I rammed a piece of paper towel into the end of ¾” id cardboard tube then
tapped over the bottom, rammed in la comp with a wooden dowel rod leaving a
little loose material on top. Tapped on a short piece of visco for convince. It burns at a reasonable slow rate with enough flame to do the job.

The Wizard is In.
-----------------
[Poisoner] Marquise de Brinvilliers,
so despised that, when she died and
her ashes were scattered to the wind,
Madame de Sevigne wrote: "All Paris
ran the danger of breathing in the
atoms of this little woman and
thereby becoming infected with the
d***@gmail.com
I thought all the smoke from Weingart's wasp light did was similar to how beekeepers use smoke to put their bugs to sleep -- that you would then take the wasp nest & dispose of it along with the incapacitated wasps.
Peter Fairbrother
2017-07-19 08:48:56 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by Anon Emous
[...]
I dunno, but it doesn't sound likely - smoke causes (honey) bees to
think their nest (they aren't called hives unless they're the square
things provided by a beekeeper) may be burning, and they fill up on
honey in order to save it.

This makes them lethargic as their tummies are full of honey (which they
don't normally get to eat much of), and they are less likely to sting.

It doesn't work with eg most bumble-bee nests, just honey bees.

Wasps not having any honey ... however wasps's nests being a lot more
flammable than bees' nests ...

arsenical, flame

--Peter Fairbrother
Anon Emous
2017-07-22 02:34:14 UTC
Post by Peter Fairbrother
I dunno, but it doesn't sound likely - smoke causes (honey) bees to
think their nest (they aren't called hives unless they're the square
things provided by a beekeeper) may be burning, and they fill up on
honey in order to save it.
I incinerated them.

The WiZard is In.
Despite—perhaps because of—these marriages, William
[of Nassau, Prince of Orange] was rich only in lands,
poor in money. By 1560, he was almost a million florins
in debt. In a flurry of economy he dismissed
twenty-eight of his cooks.