Potassium Nitrate
Putt.....
2006-06-26 02:00:13 UTC
Still available "over-the-counter" here in the states?? I know Sodium
Nitrate is available in our local garden store, but not Potassium..
I would like to try and make some sugar/Potassium Nitrate/sulfur small
rockets just to see how they come out... First "roll your own"
Pyro project for me...

Putt...
h***@yahoo.com
2006-06-26 02:33:46 UTC
Putt, potassium nitrate is one of the few pyro chems that is still
being sold on eBay, and at rather minimal prices. (Although I can't
speak to the quality, but it's probably good enough for rockets, black
powder and other pyro projects that aren't very demanding. I believe
that the last listing of KNO3 that I saw on eBay was $0.99/lb, plus
what seemed to me at the time to be reasonable shipping cost. IIRC, the
same seller was offering 5 and 10 lb quantities as well, plus had in my
mind a reasonably good feedback record.

Then too, here in the Northeast, a reasonably pure for of KNO3 is being
sold at many garden and hydronics (if that's the correct term)
retailers. Generally in a brand called K-Power. Although I don't need
any, I asked the guys at Agway (our local farm and garden supplier) and
although they don't carry it in stock, since I am a regular customer
they would be glad to order it for me (5 40-lb bag minimum at $16.50 a
bag) either in granular or prell form. I decline the offer telling them
that my lawn and garden were green enough from my copious use of Scotts
and Miracle Grow! (LOL)

Putt, for what purpose do you need the KNO3? If you are making black
powder or rockets, I'm sure that the pure fertilizer grade would work
out perfectly well for you, based upon the past experience of user who
have posted on this newsgroup. If you need only a few pound, check out
the seller on eBay, but be sure to look at their feedback which gives
you an indication of how reliable, honest, and credible they are.

On the other hand, if you want to use it to make stars and similar
item, the fertilizer grade may not measure up to your expectations,
since the impurity content may significantly affect their color. At any
rate, potassium nitrate arguately remains one of the most easily
obtained pyro reagents available here in the US, and is useful for many
purposes from black powder and simple flash mixtures to stars and even
garden fertilizer. Just as with a hog, nothing goes to waste! :-)

Kindest regards, Harry C.

Put, last year
Putt...
h***@yahoo.com
2006-06-26 02:40:46 UTC
Hey Putt,

Here is the guy that is actively selling potassium nitrate on eBay. He
has a number of auctions selling quantities from 1 to 100 pound in a
lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Potassium-Nitrate-Powder-2LBS-KNO3-Tech-Fine-Powder_W0QQitemZ6066624867QQihZ009QQcategoryZ2567QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

For the prices and shipping charges that he is asking, purchase a pound
or two would not involve much of a financial risk, and give his
feedback score, evidently may buyers are quite happy with the KNO3 that
he is selling. Also, It's not me, and I have no connection with this
seller. Simply trying to be helpful.

Harry C.
Putt...
Putt.....
2006-06-26 03:16:13 UTC
Harry,
I want to try my hand at some simple, small rockets...
As I said, this will be my first project. I have always
been interested in things that go "boom" :) (and it has
been a LONG time since high school chemistry)
I want to start with Sugar/KNO3/sulphur propellents, rather mild and
"relativly" safe...
I will check with my local garden store and see if thay have the brand name
"Super K" or if
they can order some (if not for pyro, I can always use it for fertilizer
:)...

Thanks Harry, appreciate the info..

Putt...
------------------------------snip--------------------------------
Putt...
KALYANPRODHAN
2006-06-26 10:54:20 UTC
For first project you can use the formula. It is not the basic 75.15.10
but modified. This is very popular in our country (Bengal of india.) We
use fertilizer grade KNO3 and charcole of light wood, sulpher and
suger.
KNO3-8
Charcole-2
Sulpher-1
Suger-1
This formula boost the speed of the rocket due to suger. If the temp of
the mixure is too hot to burn out the rocket shell then reduce the
KNO3. A good nozzle dia with burning dia is 4:1 to 2:1. But this
formula you can not store for a longer time due to suger. So you can
use rice starch insted of suger but the charcole is at first mixed and
dried with starch. then it shoulded with sulpher and KNO3 and griended.
then the mixure is to be mixed and moisted with slide water during
filling in the rocket motor.
Waiting for your success and a large smile.
none
2006-07-19 20:28:52 UTC
Post by Putt.....
Still available "over-the-counter" here in the states?? I know Sodium
Nitrate is available in our local garden store, but not Potassium..
I would like to try and make some sugar/Potassium Nitrate/sulfur small
rockets just to see how they come out... First "roll your own"
Pyro project for me...
Putt...
can u get 'Potassium Nitrate' in ireland